Recruitment Call Out- Takeover Team Coordinator
Published: 8th January 2019
We are looking for our 2019 Takeover Team Coordinator to recruit, manage and inspire The Takeover Team in the run up to and during the festival.
The Takeover is a week-long arts festival at The Customs House that is produced by, with and for young people to develop and showcase their leadership skills. The Festival is led, planned, marketed, delivered and evaluated by our Takeover Team, a group of 14-25 year olds who are recruited from diverse backgrounds and have varying leadership and arts experiences.
The Festival launched in 2015 as a platform for work created at our venue by under 19s but has expanded to showcase the work of artists under 25 years old from all over the North East working on film, music, dance, visual art, poetry and theatre projects. There are five arts based regional competitions that culminate in events during the Festival: The North East Young Filmmakers Award, The Terry Kelly Poetry Prize, The Takeover Open Art Exhibition, Means Teens Breakdance Jam and Young Writer in Residence.
The following statements from young people demonstrate the impact of some of the opportunities of Takeover 2018:
“Being a part of Takeover was a truly unique experience that simply does not happen as often as it should. Putting together a creative team full of young aspiring artists and working together on one common goal has really paid off in my opinion and it would not have been able to happen if people were not willing to take a chance on creative projects and trust the young talent from the region to pull through. Really grateful and proud to of been a part of it and long may projects like this continue to be put out there to such a fantastic response from our industry.” (Daniel, 20)
“Takeover was the best week of my life, and I say that sincerely. As a newcomer in the industry working on another newcomers amazing piece of writing I felt both immensely lucky and at home. It is imperative that opportunities such as this are created- it creates room for magic to be made.” (Serena, 20)
Check out our Takeover 2018 highlights here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qggxLDPtLBg&t=102s
The successful 2019 Takeover Team Coordinator will be:
- An exceptional and inspiring practitioner
- Extremely well networked with cultural professionals and organisations in the North East
- Experienced in working with 14-25-year olds (a minimum of 3 years)
- Confident working independently and as part of a team
- Excellent at time management and efficient at planning
- Experienced in delivering outcomes on externally funded projects
- Reliable, organised and value the voice of the young person
Responsibilities of the role are:
- To recruit 25 young people aged 14-25 by visiting other organisations that work with these young people such as schools, colleges, community groups and other charities
- Plan and deliver a weekly two-hour session with The Takeover Team at The Customs House (Mondays from 4.30-6.30pm)
- Work with diverse young people to identify their needs and then adapt Takeover Team meetings to meet these needs
- Work with The Takeover team using programming budget to plan involvement of high-quality artists across a range of art forms throughout the festival
- Design and deliver workshops building young people’s youth arts leadership skills
- Evidence outcomes of Takeover Team sessions in a practitioner’s reflective journal and where appropriate through photography, diaries etc.
- Facilitate opportunities for The Takeover Team to meet other arts professionals and visit cultural venues both at TCH and on a ‘go and see’ visit
- Help The Takeover Team to develop an understanding of events from planning, delivery and evaluation
- Project manage one-off events and longer-term projects, including the setting up, monitoring and evaluation of The Takeover 2019
- Complete administrative monitoring and evaluation for The L&P team and a range of external funders
- Coach a young arts leader to help facilitate Takeover Team meetings
- Keep the L&P team updated throughout recruitment and delivery
- Follow our safeguarding policy (supplied on appointment)
- Liaise with a variety of people and organisations including local authorities, schools, companies for sponsorship, freelance professionals and specialist workers
- Market and publicise The Takeover Festival via social media, the press, etc.
- Support L&P staff and The Takeover Team to deliver high quality events during Takeover Festival.
The total fee for the Takeover 2019 Coordinator is £3,225 for a total of 21.5 days between 25 February and 31 May 2019.
The appointed practitioner would need to be available for weekly sessions at The Customs House, two full days during Easter holidays (TBC) and for the entire duration of The Takeover Festival (26-31 May).
To apply, please complete the application form and email to email@example.com by Friday 25 January 2019.
Download the application form HERE.
Interviews will be held on 31 January at The Customs House.