Monday 27th – Friday 31st May
The Takeover is a week-long arts festival at The Customs House that is produced by, with and for young people to develop and showcase their leadership skills. The festival is led, planned, marketed, delivered and evaluated by our Takeover Team, a group of 12-18 year olds who are recruited from diverse backgrounds and have varying leadership and arts experiences.
This year the team have been working with freelance coordinator Natasha Haws to decide on the festival’s events, professional artists employed and support the delivery and promotion of the festival while building arts leadership and transferable skills.
The Takeover is made possible thanks to generous funding from The ScottishPower Foundation, The Tyne and Wear Community Foundation Tyne and Wear, The Noel Coward Foundation, The Leche Trust and The Gillian Dickinson Trust. Check out our full programme below!
All events during Takeover Festival are pay what you decide, but places must be booked in advance.
Monday 27th May
- Find My Drag with Dixie, Monday 27th May 10am
Join LGBTQ+ Activist and Drag Performer Dixie for a makeup and identity Workshop. Book HERE.
- Introduction to Illustration & Tattoo Design, Monday 27th May 10:30am – 12:30pm
Learn the tricks and techniques that artist Lucy Hammond uses to draw, design and tattoo. using carbon paper and ink pens to create tattoo designs and learn about career pathways into graphic design and body art. Suitable for anyone under 25. Book HERE.
- Bonnie & The Bonnettes, Monday 27th May 2pm
A Theatre Company from The North East will be delivering a Cabaret Masterclass & Performance. Suitable for those aged 14 to 25. Book HERE.
- Gallery Preview of The Takeover Open Exhibition, Monday 27th May 7:30pm
Tuesday 28th May
- Mean Teens Break Dance Jam, Tuesday 28th May 2pm
In Association with Just Jam International and Bad Taste Crew. 2v2 B Boy and B Girl Break Dance Battles. Tunes By DJ Jelly Hosted by Ken Masters. Book HERE.
- The Lake Poets with Support from The Young Musicians Project, Tuesday 28th May 8pm
Special Guests and Local Support from The Young Musicians Project. Book HERE.
Wednesday 29th May
- Song Writing Workshop, Wednesday 29th May 1pm
Whether you are an experienced song writer or first time lyricist come along and learn how to create the perfect song or develop an idea you already have. Join Laura Brewis from We Make Culture and the Young Musicians Project in this introduction to song writing for all abilities. Book HERE.
Thursday 30th May
- North East Young Film Maker Awards, Thursday 30th May
- Under 17s Category, book HERE.
- 18 to 25 Category, book HERE.
Friday 31st May
- Musical Theatre Workshop Presented by MTS, Friday 31st May 10:30am – 5pm
Suitable for Under 25’s. Presented by MTS (Annie Guy & Steven Lee Hamilton). Book HERE.
- Acting for Audition Workshop, Friday 31st May 10.30am – 1pm
Ever wanted to know how to ace an audition? Come along to our audition workshop ran by NE Actor Jamie Brown. Book HERE.
- Bite Me Junior YT (Takeover), Friday 31st May 2pm
The Customs House Youth Theatre (Junior Group) presents… Bite Me By Reece Connolly Detention can be a pain at the best of times, but throw in a bunch of bloodsucking aliens, time travel, and some killer tunes and things are gunna get even messier. Book HERE.
- Isolation by Elijah Young (Young Writer in Residence Performance), Friday 31st May 7:30pm
Emerging Playwright Elijah Young was selected for our Takeover Young Writer in Residence. Working with Director Jake Smith and Writer Tamsin Daisy Rees, 8 young actors will bring Isolation to stage for the very first time. Book HERE.