Arts Award Support for Secondary Schools
Published: 12th October 2018
We are pleased to announce details of our First Steps programme for secondary schools. This is delivered by our Learning and Participation Team on behalf of Culture Bridge North East.
Secondary schools from the North East who currently have a trained Bronze and Silver Arts Award adviser are invited to apply to take part in our First Steps programme. We are especially keen to work with schools from Redcar, Stockton and Middlesbrough.
Places will be limited to 15 teachers. Please get in touch to let us know if you are interested in being part of the programme. To confirm you wish to take part iplease email Elizabeth@customshouse.co.uk with your school’s Arts Award Advisers name, role and direct email by noon on Friday 26th October.
If you are successful in gaining a place for your school on the programme we will notify you.
Your Commitment to The First Steps Programme
- 7th November 2018 | 3.30-5.30pm | Middlesbrough Town Hall in the Old Firestation Room. Bronze and Silver refresher course with trainer and moderator Jane Gray. An opportunity to ask questions since you attended training.
- 26th November 2018 | 3.30-5.30pm | Middlesbrough Town Hall in the Old Firestation Room. Work with Jane to plan delivery of Arts Award for the coming year.
- 12th June 2019 | 3.30-5.30pm | Middlesbrough Town Hall in the Old Firestation Room. Discover and Explore Arts Award Training worth £149 per person. To allow your school to offer progression through four Arts Award levels.
- July 2019 Details tbc. Sharing session to assist with moderation and assessment questions.
Why take part?
Taking part in the ‘First Steps Programme’ will:
- Give your staff the opportunity to receive high quality free CPD and network with other teachers from your local area;
- Give your school the opportunity to think about how, why and where Arts Award might fit into your curriculum. Arts Award can improve student achievement and attainment. It is suitable for all learners and can be delivered as a universal offer or as a targeted intervention or extension programme. Arts Award can contribute to fulfilling SMSC requirements as well as strengthening carers provision as it links directly to many of the Gatsby Benchmarks;
- Provide additional evidence for your school’s next Artsmark application on how you support Arts Award (essential for Platinum Level);
- Demonstrate to the DFE how you are working with Culture Bridge North East (Bridge Organisations are co-funded with the Department for Education);
- Find out about CBNE’s wider programme of work supporting the cultural education challenge.
We really look forward to helping secondary schools across our region build on their strong track record of helping pupils achieve Arts Award. We know how daunting it can be to take the first step and deliver and Arts Award project with so many other demands on staff time.
We hope by taking part in ‘First Steps’ teachers will feel more confident they understand the assessment criteria and can think how Arts Award might best fit within their school’s creative curriculum.
Elizabeth Kane Learning Officer
Any questions? Please contact our Learning Officer Elizabeth Kane email Elizabeth@customshouse.co.uk or telephone 0191 4278198
(Please note Elizabeth works Mon-Fri 9am to